Hiring Organization Information
Job Title: Director of Communications
The Oklahoma City Community Foundation is seeking a Director of Communications. This position is primarily responsible for the development and implementation of a strategic communications plan for all print, website, digital media and public relations messages to consistently articulate the organization’s mission and vision. The position will work closely with the senior leadership team as the communications partner on the organization’s strategic initiatives and is responsible for the supervision of the communications staff. Reporting to the President, the director will work with team members across the organization to identify and communicate key messages and compelling stories to advance the Community Foundation’s mission.
About the Oklahoma City Community Foundation: Ranked among the largest community foundations in the nation, the Oklahoma City Community Foundation connects generous donors with passionate charitable organizations to build a stronger community. Founded in 1969, we are a 501(c)(3) public charity that works with donors to create charitable funds that will benefit our community now and in the future. Learn more about the Oklahoma City Community Foundation at www.occf.org.
• Direct the development, execution and evaluation of a comprehensive communications and marketing plan across the organization’s audiences that identifies key messages, effectively using appropriate communications media.
• Work closely with external partners to create and execute multi-channel marketing campaigns and public relations strategies to increase brand recognition.
• Collaborate with development, scholarship and community program staff to develop communications materials to support their needs. Oversee development of community foundation historic archives and website.
• Lead the generation of print and digital content and manage the editorial direction, design, development, distribution and maintenance of all publications and collateral including newsletters, brochures, annual report, e-newsletters, website content and social media.
• Manage all aspects of media relations including, but not limited to, maintaining media contacts and relationships, pitching stories, developing news releases, responding to media inquiries and preparation of appropriate OCCF spokespersons.
• Mentor and lead the communications team so they can effectively implement the communications strategy within their respective roles.
• Write and edit copy for various mediums with high-level AP Style knowledge.
• Manage and coordinate website maintenance and social media efforts.
• Stay abreast of current trends and technology related to print and digital communications.
Qualifications & Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, public relations or journalism required.
• Minimum of five to seven years of experience in communications or marketing. Nonprofit experience is preferred.
• Excellent writing/editing and communications skills, with strong knowledge of AP Style.
• Strong leadership skills; management and administrative experience required.
• Professional attitude and strong interpersonal communication skills with the ability to build external relationships.
• Ability to manage details and meet deadlines.
• Basic computer skills including strong working knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress and various social media platforms preferred.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and three references with job title in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 25, 2020.