Hiring Organization Information
About Philanthropy Southwest
Philanthropy Southwest (PSW) is a regional association comprised of hundreds of philanthropists and grantmakers working to make a difference. We believe in a thriving Southwestern U.S. through the power of philanthropy. We connect grantmakers through sector-wide conferences, trainings, networking opportunities and funder convenings—providing space for collaboration and coordinated action on critical issues. PSW currently serves 200+ members who, together, represent the spectrum of philanthropy, including corporate foundations and giving programs, family foundations, private independent foundations, community foundations, public foundations, and individual philanthropists.
This is a full-time exempt position based at the Philanthropy Southwest office in Dallas.
The manager of marketing & events will work with the vice president of membership and partnerships on PSW’s strategic communications plan. This position will be in charge of crafting compelling narratives to support PSW’s different workstreams including membership/member services, professional learning, and public policy. The manager will help develop digital marketing strategies that utilize data, design, and storytelling to boost PSW’s membership engagement and community building as well as internal and external learning.
The manager of marketing & events will also work with the vice president of professional learning & public policy to support various program initiatives, including event logistics, strategic planning, content creation. He or she will also manage annual conference and event registration.
The manager will help keep PSW staff members up to date on the latest news, research, and events in philanthropy, with a particular focus on the Southwest. She or he will work with the team to develop internal resources that support PSW’s efforts to improve its member services and programs.
This position is an excellent opportunity for a creative individual who is curious about the intersection of media, events, and philanthropy. The ideal candidate will be interested in serving the philanthropic sector and building skills in a cross-functional organization.
Areas of Responsibility
- General Communications & Marketing: Serve as a strategist in the planning and execution of marketing plans for PSW’s programs, conferences, and other events. Tasks include but are not limited to managing and implementing PSW’s overall editorial calendar; organizing and drafting communications that align with and strengthen PSW’s brand identity; editing content for clarity and consistency across channels.
- Executive Communications and Media Relations: Collaborate with the vice president of membership & partnerships on developing strategies around strengthening PSW’s brand externally and elevating the voice of PSW’s president & CEO as a leader in philanthropy, including but not limited to writing talking points, speeches, op-eds, and press releases.
- Email Marketing: Serve as the lead strategist in producing content for PSW’s email marketing campaigns. Be a thought partner in strengthening PSW’s digital strategies to achieve the organization’s mission and goals around member engagement.
- Social Media: Act as the supervisor for the implementation of digital strategies on PSW’s various social media platforms. Create and track content and conversations while ensuring consistency with organizational messaging and branding.
- Website: Be the lead content producer for PSW’s website. Tasks include but not limited to writing, ensuring branding standards, and collaborating with the team on storytelling strategies that incorporate insightful data, impactful designs, and high-quality writing.
- Learning: Collaborate with the team to solicit and promote content for PSW’s online educational exchange
- Events: Collaborate with the team to support program/event efforts, serving as an ambassador for the organization with a customer service-oriented approach, with the specific duties of managing annual conference registration and all PSW event logistics
- All other duties as assigned.
- Writing/Copyediting: Proven track record of creative short- and long-form writing. Exceptional writing, storytelling, and editing skills with sound editorial judgment. Experience with crafting messages for various communications platform including social media, email, and website. Ability to edit for substance and tone to ensure content is unique, supported by evidence and engaging, and that it exemplifies PSW’s voice and values. Ability to quickly produce high quality written content.
- Project Management: Ability to create concise and workable project plans, communicate those plans clearly, and manage deadlines. Ability to build systems, processes, and structures to achieve measurable goals. Fast learner with impeccable attention to detail and a proven track record of on-time delivery for complex projects with distributed ownership.
- Open-Minded and Entrepreneurial Approach: Intellectual curiosity and interest in using experimenting with new communications tools and strategies. Interest in new technologies, design thinking, and data. Exceptional interpersonal skills, customer service attitude and ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders at all levels from a range of backgrounds.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a fast-paced environment, preferably in the philanthropy/nonprofit sector.
- Previous experience with Mailchimp or other email marketing platforms.
- Previous experience with managing social media communities.
- Previous experience in event management.
- Previous experience with or interest in Salesforce highly desired.
- Basic graphic design experience highly desired.
10%-15% travel required
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Manager of Marketing & Events.
Philanthropy Southwest (PSW) is an equal opportunity employer. PSW is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to color, race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.