BUILDING A MORE INCLUSIVE SOUTHWEST
Introducing REDI: A Philanthropy Southwest (PSW) Program to Promote Racial Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in the Southwest Region
The Racial Equity Diversity and Inclusion (REDI) Committee is a Philanthropy Southwest (PSW) program that aims to promote inclusivity in the Southwest region.
We've partnered with the Racial Equity Group to develop an evidence-based framework for grantmakers with the goal of fostering equitable access to opportunity and prosperity for all individuals.
Race and ethnicity is one of the most reliable predictors of life outcomes across several well-being indicators, including:
- Health care (life expectancy, chronic disease, physical and mental health, maternal mortality)
- Education (academic achievement)
- Income & wealth
So, how can PSW members achieve a more significant impact in an increasingly diverse world?
Empowering Grantmakers to Drive Change
Through REDI, we envision a Southwest region where every person, regardless of their background, has equitable access to opportunity and prosperity.
Our mission is to inspire and equip grantmakers with the tools and resources they need to actively promote racial equity, diversity, and inclusion within their grantmaking strategies.
Strategically applying a REDI lens maximizes philanthropic impact by:
- Closing well-being disparities between different racial groups
- Expanding opportunities for all individuals
- Strengthening human capital within communities
The Racial Equity Group is a management consulting firm that provides advisory services on racial equity, diversity, and inclusion strategies and customizes and facilitates racial equity audit assessments and implicit bias training experiences.
Understanding the Challenge:
- RACIAL EQUITY refers to the life outcomes that would be achieved if one's racial identity did not dictate their outcomes. To achieve racial equity, we engage in an intentional and continual practice that prioritizes:
- Recognizing racial inequities
- Identifying and removing barriers
- DIVERSITY refers to the characteristics that make an individual or group different. It recognizes everything that makes us unique and shapes our identity, such as race/ethnicity, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, cultural background, as well as our cognitive skills and personality traits
Appreciating diversity means recognizing and valuing these differences
- INCLUSION is intentionally removing barriers to provide equal access, and genuinely engaging with diverse people, including groups who have traditionally been excluded from decision-making processes in a way that shares the power to influence
By joining forces with the Racial Equity Group we are committed to developing a collaborative approach that drives meaningful change.
Evidenced-Based Framework for Lasting Impact
Developed in partnership with the Racial Equity Group, we are thrilled to launch the PSW REDI Playbook. This playbook will provide a comprehensive suite of best practices and tools to inform and guide philanthropic serving organizations to advance racial equity, diversity, and inclusion.
The REDI playbook provides grantmakers a framework to identify and address systemic barriers within their funding strategies.
That framework includes:
- Best practices
- Tools (like the DEI Index)*
- Support & accountability
*A tool created to support racial equity goals; it compares an organization's population served, staff, and board to its geography's demographics and shows if it aligns and represents that geography.
We hope members apply this evidenced-based framework to more carefully plan their giving and help create a more inclusive Southwest region, a region where every person has equitable access to opportunity and prosperity.
The REDI Playbook will be available to PSW members December 2023.
All this is for impact. Adopting REDI’s evidence-based framework supports funders in their goal to allocate resources, maximize impact, and drive meaningful change in the Southwest region.
Join the REDI Committee Today
Join REDI, a PSW committee, and be part of a dynamic community of grantmakers committed to creating a more inclusive region.
Join us in driving meaningful change and building a more inclusive future for our region.
If you are interested in joining REDI, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.